Tuesday, March 11, 2008

An Insight to Mister Transistor

Growing up, the Christian faith and values were strategically instilled into my mind. I must admit, as a child, I really was just doing what I was told; my faith was a byproduct of an obligation to Sunday school. Through the latter half of elementary school, I stopped attending weekly church. This was mostly due to my father's narcissism; He believed the family didn't have to attend church anymore because he thought he knew about what he needed to when it came to religion. He obviously didn't get the point of church.

My personal faith blossomed in middle school and high school when I began to attend weekly youth groups (for those of you who don't know what this is, it's a gathering of young people who get together to talk about God and his role in our daily lives). I couldn't get enough of them. Throughout high school, I attended probably seven different youth groups. The youth pastors kept me in line' they even made sure I was reading my bible on a regular basis. These religious figures were individuals who I could trust and confide in about my personal life. Not to mention, we had a ton of fun and I made dozens of close friends.

Here is my point for sharing this with you, people of the internet, I am greatly offended and disgusted to know that religious leaders are taking advantage of this trust and turning it into an obscene and immoral act of sexual abuse. Take this into consideration, a bishop has an immense influence on families that youth pastors like mine could most likely never achieve. Catholic religious leaders are spiritual icons to their community. They are essentially a symbol of God. Can man be trusted with this sort of responsibility? Obviously not.

No comments: